Thursday, February 2, 2012

Chicken Once! Chicken Twice! Chicken, Chicken Soup with…

So while I enjoy making soups, I’ve never tackled a broth before. Something about soaking bones just makes me feel…uncomfortable. But we had a roasted chicken recently and I had to do something with the leftovers, so I figured why not try it now.

It was actually insanely simple. Other than having to be IN the house when it’s boiling, there really isn’t much else you have to do during the making process.

And after, you have this awesome broth. Recipe of what I did with it to follow!

Left over roasted chicken, pick off all of the good meat and save

2 large Carrots, chopped

½ Onion, chopped

2 Celery stalks, chopped

1 Parsnip, Chopped

2 stalks of Parsley

Some Thyme

8 cups of water

Salt and pepper to taste

In a smaller pot (you want this to be snug inside) add all ingredients. Cook on low heat for 5 hours. I took my mesh collider and strained everything out, tossed all the veggies and chicken bones, added salt and pepper to the broth and put it in a sealed bowl in the fridge.

Let it cool in refrigerator. There will be a layer of fat on top, skim it off. The chilled broth will have an almost jello like feel to it. It’s kind of gross, I know. The key is to add 1 cup of water to it right before you put it on the stove. Let it heat up and I promise you, whatever you add to it will be delicious!

I ended making Roman Egg Drop soup. It didn’t look pretty, but it tasted REALLY delicious and is an excellent side for the recipe that follows. See, it all ties together.

Broth from above recipe

3 Eggs

3 TBS of Semolina Flour

3 TBS Parmesan Cheese

1 cup of Cold Chicken Broth (from above recipe)

1 TBS Parsley, Minced

In a pot add all broth, save the one cup reserved and bring to a rolling boil.

In a separate bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients and whisk.

When the broth is boiling, slowly add the egg and flour mixture, whisking the entire time. Once the mixture is all in the pot, whisk for another 3-4 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste and serve warm

No comments:

Post a Comment