Tuesday, August 21, 2012

A Revolution and a Black Dog


After picking up two suits for The Husband last night, we decided to grab a bite to eat at Revolution Brewery. Revolution is literally a block from our home, and for some reason we go only a few times a year. Typically if The Husband and I are dining out, we generally have various friends with us and Revolutions is either jammed, or not on our list of places to go. When we go out on date nights, we typically don’t stay close to home, so we rarely make it over there. We were reminded last night that we make stupid choices some times.

While Revolution is a brewery, I honestly think it’s their food that sets them apart. We started the night with an order of Wild Boar Meatballs.  After spending two weeks in Italy and really learning how amazing Wild Boar is, The Husband and I will typically gravitate towards it; we were not wrong. Four small delicate juicy meatballs with a little spice surrounded by a light pesto and some fried polenta triangles.  Really spot on and it paired well with The Husband’s Riot Pilsner, a super clean Czech style Pils. I ordered the Rosa, a hibiscus ale that was super clean, smelled delicious and had an ever so slight sweet finish. Sometimes fruit beers can be too much fruit, this was perfect.

The Husband and I went back and forth for our entrĂ©e. They had a Chicken and Waffle dish that The Husband wanted to try, after spending some time in Austin, he’s a little obsessed.  However, his fall back at Revolution is their Fish and Chips; perfectly battered, light and crispy fish with a malt vinegar side and crispy, salty French fries.  I was deciding between my fall back, the Hombre Burger, a spicy burger (I love a good spicy burger) covered with smoked poblano pepper, avocado, Chihuahua cheese, red pepper crema & tortilla strips.  Or their Beer Mussels, PEI Mussels in a beer broth infused with Tthyme, shallots, potatoes, house cured bacon, garlic and bay leaf. Both The Husband and I decided to break the mold and go with the Chicken and Waffles and the Mussels. Our waitress informed us we made an excellent decision.

The Husbands Chicken and Waffles came, a HUGE piece of buttermilk fried chicken, surrounded by roasted corn off the cob, tomatillo salsa, stewed tomatoes, okra and two smaller split pea and brown-butter waffle halves. The Husband has his trepidations regarding the southwestern style of the dish, but he was thrilled. His only comment was that he wished there were more waffles. He spent time cutting up the chicken, marrying the okra, corn, tomatoes and salsa along with the crispy chicken. I practically had to beg him for a bite. When I got one, I could tell why he was bogarting the dish. It was delicious.

I was thrilled with my mussels as well, so it wasn’t like I was willing to share either. A huge bowl of mussels came, along with four thin, crispy slices of a baguette. The mussels were delicious and the broth was spectacular. I spent my dinner alternating between soaking bread in the broth and trying to get the perfect bite of mussel, shallot, potato and broth. The bottom of the broth has a fair amount of black pepper in it, so there was a tiny kick. It was so good, that after I finished the mussels, then the bread , I just began eating the broth with a spoon like soup. The Husband joined in.

After dinner, The Husband decided that he wanted to make a trip to Black Dog Gelato. We decided to hit up the one on Belmont, where the Old Bleeding Heart Bakery used to be. The shop was brightly lite, the flavors were posted on what was made to look like a clothes line. Two strings held up colored clothes pins that had each of the flavors written on brightly colored paper.  We walked in as the Goat Cheese Cashew Carmel (sounds odd, but everyone raved about it) was getting moved to the “Sorry we’re out tonight” clothes line. I made an off-hand comment to The Husband akin to “Oh maaaaaaaan!” and the wonderful man behind the counter proceeded to scrape out the tiny bit of the remaining gelato (enough for a few good spoonful’s) and gave it to me. I was ecstatic. And It.Was.Fantastic! Seriously. The carmel was wonderful and I worried that the goat cheese would be too rich, it paired so well. I’m drooling as I write.

I decided to go with the Oreo Mint and asked the lovely man behind the counter what he thought paired well. He gave me a list and then said “Or…you could let me pair for you” SOLD! He gave me the Baked Apple. HOLY COW PEOPLE! It was like a perfectly baked Apple Pie in gelato form.  It was superb. I felt like Thanksgiving in the middle of summer.  The Oreo Mint was delicious, but if you’re not a super mint fan, I would avoid. I love mint, The Husband does not. He said it reminded him of toothpaste. I wildly disagreed.

Since I was given the Baked Apple, The Husband’s idea (that he didn’t share with me until AFTER I received the Baked Apple) of Banana Bread and Baked Apple was no good. According to The Husband and His Family, no two people can ever have the same dish when eating out. Everyone MUST have something new, it doesn’t matter how many times you’ve been to the restaurant. I’ve tried a few times to trick him, and I’ve failed every time. We’ll be out to dinner and want the same thing, being a good man; he’ll always let me get it. And I always feel bad, I mean, why can’t we both enjoy a dish that we both want? So more than a few times I’ve told him I won’t be getting that dish, that I want something else and he should have it, he’ll order it, then I’ll order it, then he’ll change his order. He’s grown accustomed to my game and always makes me order first now.

So, this evening he decided to go with the Malted Vanilla and the Allspice. Again, another winning combination!  Seriously, I’m not a huge Vanilla fan, but WOW. We sat on the car, eating our gelato, swapping tastes and were totally, blissfully happy. Thank goodness this place isn’t in walking distance, or I’d have some serious gelato addiction issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment